[bksvol-discuss] Re: Jiffy Proofer Concerns

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:31:24 -0500

#
Jiffy proofer is the name we gave to certain people who register as volunteers and then their idea of volunteering consists of downloading books from the checkout list and uploading them again without taking the time to even look at them. When this problem first appeared there were two of them and they reduced the checkout list from over three hundred to less than a hundred in days. I checked the amount of time they had the books checked out and it appeared that at least one of them was competing against himself for speed. I think he managed to get at least one book downloaded and then checked back in in less than two minutes.
On 11/11/2013 12:28 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
Please enlighten me, must have missed something;  what is "jiffy
proofing," or a "jiffy proofer?"
Is it some kind of software which proofs, as such?

Curtis Delzer.
HS.

K 6 V F O
San Bernardino, CA.

curtis@xxxxxxxxxx

skype: curtis1014

On Tue, 8 Oct 2013 20:39:43 -0400
Nimit Gmail <kaur.nimit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thats a fair deal!  :)

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 8, 2013, at 5:46 PM, Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,
Brenda and I have had a chance to chat about this latest jiffy proofer and I wanted to share our what we’ve come up with. We definitely agree with the concern and will take any possible instances of jiffy proofing very seriously. Our official stance on jiffy proofers:
If every anyone sees what may be jiffy proofing, please email Madeleine or
Brenda off list (though feel free to mention that you have done so to the
list-I suggest emailing off list to make sure we get it).  We will then spend
extra time checking the original scan against the possibly-jiffy-proofed one.
If the scan has not been proofread at all, we’ll return it with a note that we require all scans to be proofread. We will not put a hold on that book and it will go back to the checkout queue for anyone to proofread. If the scan has been proofread somewhat but needs more work, it will be returned with a hold for the speedy proofreader and we will email the proofreader directly (in addition to the email sent out with the edits needed) explaining that Bookshare’s version of proofreading does take time to get a high-quality product. If the scan has been proofread well but very quickly, we’ll email the volunteer asking how they were so speedy to see what we can find out, and handle it accordingly. Please note that this is a rather unlikely scenario. In this current case, I have contacted the volunteer and explained our process for proofreading and suggested spending a bit more time on each scan. I’ve shared some examples of the amount of time people will spend proofreading one book, and encouraged asking questions about the process and to let me know how I can help. I’ll monitor any continued volunteer activity as well. Please email me off list if you have questions or concerns. Thank you all again for helping to maintain our high quality standards! Best, Madeleine Linares
Volunteer Coordinator
Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative
650-644-3459
madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx