[bksvol-discuss] Re: Jiffy Proofer Concerns

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 22:08:59 -0500

#
Let me say something about the origins of the term jiffy proofer too. Apparently it was I who first identified the problem. I noticed it when more than one of my submissions was downloaded and then uploaded entirely too fast to have been worked on. Then I took note of who did it and observed his behavior on other books. I discovered that two of them were doing the same thing at the same time. I will even name them. One was Nicholas Wilcox and the other was Julie Barett. I reported it to this list and there was quite a hullaballoo. One of the list members at the time named Elizabeth just happened to casually call them jiffy proofers once and suddenly everyone was calling them that. The term is still with us and has become part of the Bookshare volunteer jargon.
On 11/11/2013 2:57 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi Curtis, I see that several people have answered you, but since I like trying to define words, I'll have a go.

A Jiffy Proofer is one who takes a book off the checkout list, examines it for less than say three hours, (fifteen minutes is not unknown), and places that book into the queue for approval as if it had been actually proofed properly. These people do not actually proofread the books they take out. they submit books for approval without even looking at them.

The word "jiffy" implies quick and slapdash. Um, this kind of behavior on the part of Bookshare volunteers is *not* in good favor especially with real proofers who read every word of their books.

Does that definition work for you?

Ann P.