[bksvol-discuss] Re: Information for our Library?

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:33:55 -0600

Katie,

The following press announcement was sent out by Bookshare in early
November.  Perhaps Bookshare has something else though which might be more
what you're looking for.  I'd suggest contacting John at either
support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or john.g@xxxxxxxxxxxx and asking if the staff happens
to have something  else that might be better suited to give to your local
library.

HTH

Gerald

BOOKSHARE.ORG PUTS 30,000 ACCESSIBLE BOOKS ONLINE FOR DISABLED READERS

Thousands of Volunteers Select and Scan Bestsellers For the World's Largest
Accessible Online Library

Palo Alto, Calif., November 8, 2006 - Bookshare.org announced this week that
its network of volunteers has succeeded in scanning 30,000 books creating
the world's largest accessible online library. Thousands of Bookshare.org
volunteers, including educators and librarians, select their favorite books
and legally convert these texts to digital formats that can be used by
people with print disabilities such as dyslexia and visual impairment.

The entire Bookshare.org online library can be downloaded to Braille
printers, portable Braille devices and software that reads aloud in a
synthesized human voice. Among the titles are bestsellers including Criss
Cross, the 2006 Newbery Medal winner for children's literature. Information
about the latest titles can be found at http://www.bookshare.org.

"There are thousands of people who couldn't read this literature without
something like Bookshare.org, it opens up a whole new world to them," says
Bookshare.org volunteer Matthew Devcich, 16, of Chantilly, Virginia. "You
are helping people across the nation and it's a great way to learn today's
technology."

Devcich, who has a visual disability, created an Eagle Scout leadership
service project that organized 21 mostly teenage volunteers to scan and
proofread 24 books. Devcich listens to the Bookshare.org ebooks which allow
him to reduce eye strain while he reads the text online in an enlarged font.
"It helps me read a great deal faster," says Devcich.

The subscription-based Bookshare.org digital library is the first literacy
program developed by Benetech, a nonprofit based in Palo Alto, California.
"It's people like Matthew who have made 30,000 books available at
Bookshare.org today," said Janice Carter, Director of Benetech's Literacy
Programs. "Thanks to the ongoing support of the Bookshare.org volunteer
community, we continue to add about 100 new books each week."

The Benetech literacy team will present their library of accessible books
and periodicals at the annual conference of The International Dyslexia
Association conference held at the Indiana Convention Center in
Indianapolis, Indiana from November 8-11.