[bksvol-discuss] Image Description - A New Frontier for Bookshare Volunteers

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:37:01 -0700

Over the past year you may have noticed me mentioning Benetech's DIAGRAM Center
and ideas about a new approach to image description. We are now testing a tool
that allows volunteers to add image descriptions to books after the books have
appeared in the collection.

This is very different than the approach we have taken in the past.

In the past volunteers have added image descriptions into the body text while
proofing but marked these off by enclosing them in square brackets. The new
approach will allow the descriptions to be readable or hidden depending on the
settings one uses in their reader.

Right now there are no books described using this method in the collection.

We are taking requests from volunteers who think they would like to try image
description on text books that are already in the Bookshare collection. If you
would like to volunteer, or just learn more, contact Scott directly at:
scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Scott Rains