[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBN dilemma and questions

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:15:13 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, Bookshare does a checksum on the ISBN number. I just found a description
of the algorithm at http://wiki.tcl.tk/12638. I happen to know the checksum
algorithm for credit cards, but not for ISBN numbers. Probably the OCR program
flipped a digit during its processing. Just checked on amazon.com - the 2nd 9
should be an 8, so the correct ISBN is 0-394-84193-X.

HTH, Carrie