[bksvol-discuss] ISBN dilemma and questions

  • From: Karen Harshfield <karenh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 10:58:47 -0700

Hi y'all,

I have been trying to submit a book this morning.  It's:

Joel and the Great Merlini
by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

The book's copyright page lists two ISBN numbers

ISBN 0-394-94193?X
ISBN 0-394-94193-4   lib. bdg.
(the second number is for library binding)

BUT the dual number thing isn't my question.

I am entering the first ISBN number on the submit page, and I am getting rejected as having entered an invalid ISBN number. I have cut and pasted it from the scanned book, typed it in by hand, and tried it without the hyphens. No good. Bookshare says it's invalid.

I have looked this book up on www.isbndb.com, and have found that the first number is not listed. This website database has it listed with one digit different. I have double checked the copyright page in the book, and the book is different from the web site.

I guess my question is:
What does the bookshare submit page do to validate the ISBN number? Does it look it up somewhere? Or is some kind of checksum used?

Yes, I could take the easy road, and use the second (library binding) ISBN number. But my curiosity has been peaked.

- Karen