[bksvol-discuss] I created a volunteer manual from the website - email me privately for a copy

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 15:06:02 -0600

Hi All,

At the start of 2015, after feeling as frustrated as everyone else, I created an rtf document that contains everything that was in the Bookshare's volunteer manual webpages at that time. Anyone who would like a copy, please email me at: cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and I will send it to you as an email attachment.

I hope to go through the website again this January and update that document with any new information. When and if I do, I'll post about it here and again make it available to everyone.

For a long time I have toyed around with creating a webpage that contains all of the information that is posted on this list that hasn't made it into the manual, sort of an unofficial volunteer FAQ on how to do scan and proofread. I'm stalled on that because I haven't come up with a good way to design it so it is easy to navigate without having everything heaped into one big webpage, and at the same time easy for me to maintain. I don't want to set it up into subpages that have to be waded through to find an answer to questions that come up during volunteering because I hate websites that force you to think the way the webpage designer did to find answers.

I have no interest in usurping or supplanting Bookshare's official volunteer manual. Instead, I'm thinking along the lines of a website that's sort of like the Dummies books, an unofficial "Volunteering for Dummies" resource. There is a wealth of information within the volunteer community on how we do this stuff. Having something like that might even help new volunteers get their feet. I can't imagine trying to step into scanning or proofreading a book nowadays, with what must feel like an overwhelming number of things that have to be done to meet Bookshare's standards. It isn't hard once you've figured it out, but it does have a big up front learning curve that I suspect discourages many from volunteering.

Any suggestions or thoughts are gratefully accepted.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>