[bksvol-discuss] Re: I created a volunteer manual from the website - email me privately for a copy

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 15:42:16 -0600

Hi Cindy,

I'll send you a copy. smile. Thank you for the offer on the file you've kept, but I'm going to pass because I've done exactly the same thing!! grin. I feel like an email packrat when it comes to Madeleine's posts. I have kept them all tucked away into a file.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 12/31/2015 3:25 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:

Judy, I think that's wonderful of you and I'd like a copy. Even though I've been proofing for many,many years there are always changes(indeed, some of my things had to be redone as BSOs because I didn't know about some navigation changes; and there are always things I forget I forget and have to ask about. I have a Word file I've kept of things hat have been posted by Madeleine and on the list --- It's titled "Footnotes, ellipses, em dashes, etc. Would you like me to send it to you as an attachment ( I can convert it to rtf or leave it a a Word file) in case there's anything in it you can use?
Cindy

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi All,

At the start of 2015, after feeling as frustrated as everyone
else, I created an rtf document that contains everything that was
in the Bookshare's volunteer manual webpages at that time. Anyone
who would like a copy, please email me at:
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and
I will send it to you as an email attachment.

I hope to go through the website again this January and update
that document with any new information. When and if I do, I'll
post about it here and again make it available to everyone.

For a long time I have toyed around with creating a webpage that
contains all of the information that is posted on this list that
hasn't made it into the manual, sort of an unofficial volunteer
FAQ on how to do scan and proofread. I'm stalled on that because I
haven't come up with a good way to design it so it is easy to
navigate without having everything heaped into one big webpage,
and at the same time easy for me to maintain. I don't want to set
it up into subpages that have to be waded through to find an
answer to questions that come up during volunteering because I
hate websites that force you to think the way the webpage designer
did to find answers.

I have no interest in usurping or supplanting Bookshare's official
volunteer manual. Instead, I'm thinking along the lines of a
website that's sort of like the Dummies books, an unofficial
"Volunteering for Dummies" resource. There is a wealth of
information within the volunteer community on how we do this
stuff. Having something like that might even help new volunteers
get their feet. I can't imagine trying to step into scanning or
proofreading a book nowadays, with what must feel like an
overwhelming number of things that have to be done to meet
Bookshare's standards. It isn't hard once you've figured it out,
but it does have a big up front learning curve that I suspect
discourages many from volunteering.

Any suggestions or thoughts are gratefully accepted.