[bksvol-discuss] Re: How can I remove soft hyphens?

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:33:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Kathy, in Word you can replace those optional hyphens by doing a replace all
(alt-H) and typing ^ (that is shift and 6) and - without a space just ^- in the
first box, tab to the second box, hit delete in case there was anything there
before and press alt-a to replace them all. You replace the optional hyphen
with nothing.

  I know Omnipage, which is what I use, puts those in where there would be a
hyphen in print that it thinks really doesn't need to be there, but it marks it
just in case. Occasionally it is wrong and it needs to be a real hyphen, but
not often.

  I didn't know until a few months ago that the optional hyphens were a pain in
the neck and so I didn't start removing them from my own scans until a few
months ago.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Divided in Death by J. D. Robb

I'm an eBay affiliate, click here before you bid!
Click here for eBay!