[bksvol-discuss] Re: How I might best benefit bookshare

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:46:34 -0400

Hi, Nan. I don't work for Bookshare, and I'm active both on this list and in the Bookshare chat room. I've been both scanning and validating books for 2 years now. If you will give me some pointers on working with the new volunteers you recruit, I will gladly communicate with them and help them get started. I can't sign them up as volunteers since I'm not a staff member. I do see the value in providing both support and friendship to new volunteers in a timely manner though. It strikes me that our community knows a lot about working with books, and we as a group don't know as much about how to find and integrate new volunteers. Some people here have wonderful people skills, and I have tried to learn from them. Still, if we have someone who has worked with managing groups of volunteers, I think it's important to learn from what you're able and willing to teach us. I'm a techie by nature, and I'm learning that no matter how much I may know about machines or books, it's even more important to know about people. Having said that, I am more of a writer than a talker. How can I be of help to you with helping new volunteers come on board?

Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx