[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hey everyone another question in regards to page numbers.

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 15:33:01 -0500

Hi Kristin,

I hope you're having a super weekend, too! Great job describing what's going on--yup, I encounter that frequently. What's causing it could come from a couple of different sources in how Word handles files (are you are using Word?), but the answer is straightforward regardless of what you're using: it's OK like that when the page break bumps right up against the text, either at the top of the page or at the bottom of the page.

The Bookshare programmers built the converter that takes the files we volunteers submit in such a way so that as long as that page break is in the right place in the text it doesn't care how many blank lines--if any--are before or after the page break. It actually removes all of the blank lines as part of processing the rtf file to turn it into the books used by members.

Just as background information you might find helpful: although it isn't showing up on your braille device, braille screen or on your visual screen, a hard page break is actually coded inside of Word as a hard page break followed by a hard paragraph mark--which can produce a blank line right after the hard page break at the top of a document's pages if you select an option inside of Word to do that. I don't know if Kurzweil does this the same way, but when Word reads in a rft file from Kurzweil, it treats it as if it does. In Word, as it is installed fresh on a computer, a hard paragraph mark is 'bundled' by default with the hard page break inside of Word's codes. It doesn't display as a hard page break followed by a blank line unless you specifically tell it to do that, and it won't print as a blank line on the first line of a page if you leave it that way. However, you can optionally change a document so that it unbundles the hard page break and the hard paragraph mark. If you select that option, every hard page break you create in the document will automatically be followed by a blank line. Even if someone else has already created the entire document, if you change that option for the document when you are working on it--voila! Every hard page break in the document will suddenly be followed by a blank line.

It varies across versions of Word on how to find that option, but it's called "split apart page break and paragraph mark." It's usually found in the "advanced layout options" in any version of Word, but how to get to "advanced layout options" varies depending on the version of Word. (Thank you, Microsoft, for that constant confusion! grin)

I hope all of that makes sense--let me know if it doesn't and I'll see if I can find a way to explain it better. smile.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 10/22/2016 1:46 PM, Kristin Mills wrote:

Hey there Judy!
Hopefully you are having a great weekend! Thanks so much for your very helpful instructions in regards to doing page numbers. I just have one more question for you and I hope I can make myself understandable. Okay in the Stone Song The Isle of Destiny Series Book 1 which is the book I'm working on right now. I'm noticing that it goes text, blank line, page number, and than the page break, and lastly more text. However there's no blank line after the page break it just bumps up to the text and I'm refering to the page break here. Do I need to be putting blank lines after my page break or should I just leave it like the book has it? Hopefully you are understanding my question and if you need me to replacate it some more than that's not a problem. Again I appreciate all the help you have provided and I may be going overboard here however I just want to get it right so the book is accepted. Again I do hope you are having a great weekend and I do appreciate all of the help you have given me with this project of page numbers! Take care and I look forward to your very helpful tips for working here at bookshare!
Thanks