[bksvol-discuss] For Anyone Who Doesn't Own Microsoft Word

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:59:30 -0400

Hi. For those of you who don't have Microsoft Word, I have a couple of low-cost solutions to offer you. Did you know you can buy Word as a stand alone product without buying the whole office suite? I think I saw it for $79 at Office Depot when I was in the store, but please don't hold me to that since I wasn't in there shopping for Word. I know that it sells for less than $100 for a new copy of Word. Also, you can buy a Student version of office for around $119. I think they call it the academic version, and it has Word and Powerpoint in it. I can't remember if it has Outlook.

You can also buy older versions of Office at a steep discount on Ebay. Office 2000 works just fine with JAWS and Window Eyes. You can sometimes get Office 2000 on Ebay for around $50. You can buy Office XP for around $150 or even less sometimes. You have to read carefully because some people try to trick you by listing something called Office Suite that costs $9.95. It's really just Open Office that they've put onto a CD to trick people. Make sure your listing says Microsoft or MS Office. We have bought our copies of Windows, Office, and Quicken through Ebay with great results.

I wish I could just email each of you a copy of Word. I can't though, and I hope this will help some of you to afford a copy for yourself.

Monica Willyard