[bksvol-discuss] Re: DON'T PANIC! I put a play into the collection

  • From: "Pavi Mehta" <pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:58:31 -0800

Yes indeed, there was a segment in the last newsletter about plays in the
collection, am including the relevant extract here:

Certain Dramatic Works to Enter the Collection:

As volunteers you are familiar with the fact that dramatic works are not
covered by the Chafee Amendment (the constitutional amendment that gives
authorized institutions such as Bookshare.org the right to distribute
copyrighted non-dramatic literary works in specialized formats to qualified
individuals). However we are pleased to inform you that the terms of agreement
with certain publishing partners now give us permission to include both their
dramatic and non-dramatic works. As a result, Bookshare.org is currently in the
process of obtaining and processing qualifying plays in-house and you will
notice them as they are added to the collection.

Currently all the eligible plays have been ordered and will be processed
in-house. Carrie wanted to make sure that as these plays enter the collection,
there was no concern on the list about their legality, and also that volunteers
didn't duplicate effort by working on these titles themselves.

All good things,
Pavi

Pavi Mehta
Volunteer Coordinator, Bookshare