[bksvol-discuss] Re: Correction: On Rejecting, Releasing, and Retaining

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:22:55 EDT

I replied to Jamie's email before reading this one so it looks like I may
have been incorrect in that reply. I take it now, then, that you mean that
rather than clicking the reject button on the final page of the upload process
we
should click the accept button and include the recommendation that the book
be returned to step one in the comments field? In a message dated 9/17/2008
6:53:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Jamie  – thanks for pointing that out.
Carrie  and I somehow missed that obvious fact when going over this together
(smile).
If  you replace the word Reject with Upload the directions will hold  good.
I’ve  included the amended version below:
As  some of you have mentioned, when volunteers release a book it would be
ideal  to have a comments field where you can include reasons for the release
that  would be useful to the future validator.
I  will put in a request for this feature to be included in the new site, but
in  the interim it would be helpful if the following procedures could be
followed:
1.       In  the event that you have started validating a title but are
unable to complete  it due to an issue with the scan itself: Upload the title
with
a note  to Carrie in the comments section. Mention the issue(s) at hand and
make a  request that the book be returned with your edits retained. Carrie will
send  the edited file to the download list, and the comments regarding the
issues  will be visible to all logged in volunteers on the title history  page.
2.       In  the event that you have started validating a title and are
unable to complete  it due to personal reasons (lack of time etc): Instead of
releasing the title  Upload it with a request to Carrie in the comments section
that the  book be returned but your edits retained. Carrie will send the edited
file to  the download list. And someone else can pick it up where you left off.
(Please  note that if you choose simply to release the book instead of
uploading it,  your edits will not be retained).
Just  so you know -- in practice Carrie typically retains edits on titles she
 returns unless there is an obvious reason not to (but it won’t hurt to make
an  explicit request if you want your edits retained).
Apologies  for any confusion caused by the earlier mail, and thanks again for
so swiftly  pointing out the mistake.
All  good things,
Pavi  Mehta
Volunteer  Coordinator, Bookshare
Benetech
480 S.  California Ave., Suite 201
Palo Alto, CA  94306-1609 USA
Phone:  +1 650 644-3459
pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.benetech.org
The Benetech  Initiative - Technology Serving Humanity
A Nonprofit  Organization