[bksvol-discuss] Re: Choose Your Own Adventure 41: Search for the Mountain Gorillas

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 21:56:23 -0400

Dear Jamie, Julie, Evan and Booksharian Friends,

Good news for little adventure plotters. Doctor EEEK is in the collection and
the enhanced page numbers came through the tools in tact. Searching for page
numbers like p14 or p37 will get the kids exactly where they want to go.

I know this, thanks to Claire who, when I wrote describing the possible
problem, quickly e-mailed me back with the bracing news that the book had been
approved weeks ago and that when she downloaded the daisy version, she saw the
p flagged page numbers.

I downloaded the BRF file on my Compaq Flash card and in minutes saw the
numbers in braille as I'd hoped they'd appear. Searching for them as I
instructed in a short note to readers brought me exactly to the page number I
was looking for.

So, unofficially, I suggest that when you validate a plot your own adventure,
placing a lower case p before the page number at the top of the page, will help
readers follow instructions and quickly find the page they want to go to next.

If you just write the number by itself as you usually do for page numbers, then
searching for a number will bring up all of the places that number appears in
the book, making the search process tedious for young readers.

Julie, your supposition made sense and was worth checking.

Thanks to everyone and chalk up another happy ending to Bookshare.

Always with love,

Lissi