[bksvol-discuss] Building macros in word (was Re: How-to question)

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 16:47:14 -0600

Kim, you aren't going to be able to build a macro that does this all this stuff automatically, unfortunately.

Think of a macro as a set of instructions for an extremely limited little bitty robot that can do tasks that are very very exact and always identical every time you do them.

To understand just how complicated it really is, consider for a moment a fairly simple human task: washing dishes.

If you tell Little Robby the Robot to wash dishes, its little positronic brain will implode. To have it wash dishes, you would have to describe every single thing that might be what you and I really think of when we clean up all the things we use in a kitchen. That would include, just for starters, pots, pans, forks, spoons, plates, bowels, cups, saucers, utensils and every other thing you might wash, by every shape, size, composition and color and other characteristic possible that are needed to describe it. Then you'd have to describe what you mean by washing, and then... well, you can see how incredibly complex it is.

Now, back to Word. Think of Word's macros as instructions for a little Robby the Robot to follow to do repetitive tasks that Word already knows how to do.

You can give Robby the instructions (the macro) if you have an extremely well defined and repetitive task that you already know how to do, and just want to automate so it does it the exact same way to the exact same things every single time.

You can record a macro in Word pretty easily. The hard part is figuring out exactly which set of repetitive instructions you want to automate to do which specific task in exactly the same way under all circumstances. That's the starting point. smile.

Does that make sense?

Judy s.

Kim Friedman wrote:
Hi, I've never done a macro and I'm wondering how one makes one. I'd love to be able to find a nifty way so that I can say: 1. bold headings in 16 pt. Times New Roman and put everything else in regular Times New Roman 12 pt.. 2. Make sure the first lines of paragraphs are indented two spaces (for Braille users). Then I'd like to do another macro the covers all the find-and-replace stuff. I understand a macro is a program application that puts a lot of little steps under one result. Any answer that can explain how one does this in language so that even I can understand it will earn great thanks for enlightening somebody who gets bewildered with tech talk. Regards, Kim. __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4736 (20100101) __________

http://www.eset.com