[bksvol-discuss] Bookshare policy update for volunteers

  • From: Nicole Gnutzman <nicoleg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "vat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <vat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 05:43:54 -0700

To our volunteer community,
Bookshare volunteers play an important role in making books available as well
as publicizing Bookshare’s mission and accomplishments.  In all of these roles
volunteers become an agent of Bookshare.  At the same time, Bookshare
volunteers have a passion for books and literacy, and are avid readers who are
in touch with authors and the broader community as individuals.
Sometimes authors and publishers may be unaware of or misinterpret Bookshare’s
rights under the Chafee Amendment and lodge complaints with Bookshare, which we
are then obligated to respond to in a timely fashion.  In an effort to insure
such complaints aren’t lodged against our volunteers as individuals, it’s
important to separate individual conversations from the role as agent of
Bookshare, and maintain some limits on that role.
The best way to do that is to make sure that policy conversations are routed to
Bookshare staff immediately.  Should a volunteer receive questions from an
author or publisher about Bookshare procedures or policy, please direct them to
Bookshare’s Volunteer Coordinator. At the same time the volunteer should
contact the Volunteer Coordinator alerting him/her. The Coordinator will
respond promptly and has full access to Bookshare staff to resolve or refer any
issues that may arise.
If there is ever any question about these areas, please feel free to reach out
to the Volunteer Coordinator.  We want the Bookshare volunteer experience to be
rewarding!
And to ensure that existing and new volunteers are fully informed of this
policy update, we'll be revising the online volunteer manual and the volunteer
agreement on the Bookshare website shortly.

As always, thank you for making Bookshare such a valuable experience for our
members.
Nicole
Nicole Gnutzman
Director, Literacy Operations