[bksvol-discuss] Re: Benetech's Unresponsiveness?

  • From: "Marissa Mika" <Marissa.M@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:38:43 -0800

Hi Folks,

I leave the list for 15 hours to eat, sleep, and drive to DeAnza college
to pick up 10 GB worth of Tiffs of textbooks and science fiction books
to put up on Bookshare.org, only to return to harsh allegations of
Benetech not listening to our users and being responsive to your
requests.

Every time there's an insight or suggestion to this list or to me that
seems like it might make your Bookshare.org experience better, I send it
to the team here at Bookshare. We consider it, and we incorporate at
least some of the ideas that seem to work into a long range development
plan. How much of this long range development plan is actually
implemented depends on the funding we have and the dictates of the
grants we're operating under. Hence Spanish capability rather than
revisiting the categories. I've brought up the smart sorting for the
step one download page, but I'm not sure when that will happen. Believe
me, I get just as frustrated by my administrative capabilities
sometimes. (No back door for large bulk submissions, for example.)

It's not a perfect system and being a nonprofit means that everything
moves at a glaringly slow pace. But, some things are improving, like the
fact that author names and titles are being cleaned up, and like the
fact that we've gotten a small grant to improve and advance our search
capabilities. And I can't say enough about the volunteers who take their
time to drive the quality and content of our collection.

So, feel free to vent, rant, and rage if you need to. But if you want
something constructive to happen, write a proposal, create a spec, or
send a polite email. I'd be happy to work on establishing some sort of
process to more systematically address user and volunteer feedback,
rather than letting your ideas languish on the list.

Thanks,
Marissa