[bksvol-discuss] Re: Banned Books

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:47:01 -0700 (PDT)

When I picked up Toni Morrison's Beloved from the
library the librarian told me it was on the banned
list. The library had just received the info to
publicize Banned Book week. Curious as to why, we
looked it up on line. One school parent group
complained that it had incest and the infanticide. I
just finished validating it and I didn't find any
incest. The infanticide was on the past of a
momentarily deranged mother to save her child from the
horrors of slavery. I wonder if the people who
objected to the book even read it. It's very moving
and upsetting, working into the story, as it does, the
horrors committed under slavery.