[bksvol-discuss] Announcement: 2011 Planning

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:15:00 -0800

Volunteers,

Usually when I want t get your input I will create  survey or ask people
individually in order to keep OT discussions off the list. For the first part
of January I will be a little more present on the list so I will add "2011
Planning" to the subject line to those sorts of posts in case you want to
filter them and stay focused on work.

2010 was a year for setting resources in place for all volunteers - editing the
Online Manual for example.  2011 is  year for being a multiplier - setting in
place the resources that help good volunteers excel.

I am scheduling out the coming months. Overall my goals are two. One is to see
that new volunteers will find it easy to link up with experienced ones for
answers and mentoring. The other is to serve old volunteers more by continually
leveraging resources here in-house that help you manage this list and the
day-to-day of scanning and proofing more easily.

Benetech is in stable financial position going into 2011. Bookshare's
Operations division is fully staffed: Membership & Support, Collection
Development, and Volunteers. The experience Carol James brings from corporate
libraries to her role leading Collection Development  has direct benefit to the
Volunteer Program. As a result we have been able to allocate some of our
in-house volunteers' time to working exclusively on projects that support
Bookshare's off-site volunteers. That includes preparing new books for
first-time proofers, fine-tuning the Online Manual, and researching for gaps in
the collection or opportunities opening up with PQ publishers.

To help me determine the makeup up of the current Bookshare Volunteer
Discussion List please take some time to answer these questions. I have put my
Bookshare email address in the CC line so if you hit Reply All and delete the
group address your answers will come staright to me:

1  What is your mix of scanning and proofing? (ie 100% scanning, 90/10, 50/50,
etc.)
2  Do you prefer or excel at one or the other?
3  Are you sighted? Blind? Limited vision?
4  How does this impact which tasks you prefer to do as a Bookshare volunteer?
5  Are you interested in being identified on-list as a resource for questions
about one or the other?
6  Are you interested in being identified on-list as a mentor in a formal
mentoring relationship with a newer volunteer?
7  Is there there an existing role in the Bookshare volunteer community that
you wold like to take on?
8 Is there there a role you would like to suggest that would strengthen the
online Bookshare volunteer community?

Thanks for your input.

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow

N?§²æìr¸?yúè?Øb²X¬¶Ç§u¦åjy?¨¥¶?ä²ú%v+ºË+z«?²×ëyéb²Û(®
n¶Ø^Â?ݺ{.nÇ+?·?Ê+lzWâ?Ø^²æãyËe?w?¢­jX¬¶?Ú½¨¥i¹^r?¦jwl¦ëm?ì(­Ø^??ò?Û?ø§¶¬¹¸ÞrÙb?