[bksvol-discuss] Re: Almost on topic, DocuPen

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:08:00 -0500

yes it does, if you hold it up to find them.

It sends out a beam that is I believe fifteen feet.  By scanning the
environment you can detect objects and open spaces.  With experience you can
tell the difference between say a open door and a closed one, or a branch or
can in the environment, or say you are looking for a pole near by but not
sure where it is.  you can sweep the beam across the area, and it will let
you know by vibrating if you have there are thin objects pole shaped near
by.

Judson is actually really good at low hanging tree branches.

If he is unsure of one he will slowly walk under it, and If ai make him
rework it he will remember for the next time.

Guide dogs can tell doorways and turns in the sidewalk.  They learn
destinations and those are "great" places to visit.  So each time you pass
that particular sidewalk, they indicate to you that it is a good sidewalk to
go down, and could you go down it today, or not.  smile.

I love find the.

can, mail box, seat, inside, outside, and many more.  he can find his way
out of the Olive Garden from one of the inner rooms with just a "Judson
outside" command and only after being there once and following the waitress
to our table.  I know of people who use the Midi guide to tell when people
move in a line.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council