[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Day in the Life

  • From: "Katherine Petersen" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "katherine_petersen" for DMARC)
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:03:22 -0800

Lissi,

This may not help all of the solutions for navigation, and it won’t work for
Braille readers, but for those who have access to a smart phone or iPad,
VoiceDream Reader is a terrific app that enables pretty easy navigation between
chapters and subchapters. I’m not positive if it works for all of them, but you
can also search for particular works.

It also has different voices, so it’s an amazing upgrade form the original
BookShare app, which I personally hated.

BookShare books are easily imported through VoiceDream reader. I love the app
and think it’s one of the greatest things on the planet.

Lissi, if you have a phone, NLS also has a BARD app if the Braille books are
available in audio. I know sometimes it’s nice to just read Braille. I get some
of my magazines in Braille, and it’s nice to sometimes just read.

I don’t read using my Braille display that much on the computer as it’s faster
to listen using JAWS or the VoiceDream Reader app, but I find it really helps
me when I’m proofing.

Here’s to a better tomorrow and for your Halloween book not to be in the
collection already.

Cheers,

--Katherine