[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Day in the Life

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 18:12:58 -0800

Oh, Lissi. ARGH ( Your spirit inspires me, and knowing you and Evan, and
the other blind andblind/deaf members of boookshare make me so very
thankful not to be one of that member, but when the time comes, I swear I
will bear it with the fortitude you and Roger and the others have. How
wish I were rich so that I could buy excellent working-in-good order
equipment for you and others.
BTW -- you wrote about the lows but did I miss the "some fines"? The
only one I can think of is that you have the wonderful Evan as your
partner.
All my love to you both, Cindy

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Estelnalissi <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Dear Booksharian friends,

In a day of lows and some just fines, here’s what went on.

I wrapped 5 books for Paperback Swap and 6 for scanners. Evan took public
transit over to mail them and walked home in the foggy drizzle with some
groceries in place of books.

Meanwhile I adjusted some of the contents of my Paperback Swap profile and
proofread about 30 pages in How To Drive Your Family Crazy on
Halloween, one of several Halloween books we prepared for bookshare and,
no, we didn’t finish them on time. We have two more to do after this one.
Evan’s already scanned them and has scanned several for Christmas. Stoking
the collection for holidays is still part of our master plan.

When Evan came home he told me the book I was up until 11:30 doing final
tweaks on and checking in to Bookshare was already in the collection via
PQ. It may be marked up for audio navigation, but with17 chapters and
nearly 190 subchapters, Booksharians with refreshable braille devices won’t
be able to navigate the subchapters at all. Thus PQ remains a mixed
blessing totally ignoring the needs of blind braille readers, a segment of
the reading population which used to mean something to Bookshare.

I’m on page 60 of the Halloween book now and what I need to sooth my soul
is to check it in, a book which may stick for a while.

It isn’t that Evan and I don’t feel the pinch when books we’ve worked on
long and hard get replaced. It’s that we give ourselves time to shake off
the disappointment, look at the big picture and carry on.

Another of the lows today was that after a month of waiting, braille books
I requested from NLS haven’t come yet. I gratefully read Bookshare books on
my M’Power, which I bought second hand because the $6-000 price tag is
impossible for me to afford. But that machine was faulty and I wonder every
night when I’m reading if it will be my last, with soft dots and odd file
hopping from the machine. I worry that NLS will stop making hard braille
books saying there isn’t enough demand while my library sits on requests
not responsive to the demand they have.

My heart goes out to Roger and others whose work takes much longer because
they are using older and/or less reliable programs. For private incomes,
especially retired ones, adaptive technology costs the moon.

The world is still pretty grim for readers with low incidence handicaps
like blindness and deaf blindness whose needs are still least regarded
because of their low numbers and for whom the solutions are too expensive
for the same reason.

At the end of this day there is still proofreading, a form of volunteerism
which provides a positive outlet for this blind booklover.

That’s my story. Your stories are surely different but I expect some
parts of my day will resonate with some of you.

Always with love,

Lissi

P. S. II /I’m sure tomorrow will be better and though I’ll appreciate it,
I probably won’t write about it.

P. P. S. The book which was replaced was The Highly Sensitive Person: How
to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You. All but the last chapters are
quite illuminating and helpful. You might want to give it a read as the
shy, the imaginative, the intuitive, the visionaries, the book lovers, the
introverts, and the easily overwhelmed are among its target population.