[biztech-discussion] Off-Shoring Discussion on Joel's Blog

  • From: <margh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:13:36 -0500

Following is a link to a recent, rather comprehensive discussion from
programmers r.e. offshoring.

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork/default.asp?
cmd=show&ixPost=2160&ixReplies=17

This doesn't address the additional impact of L-1 and H-1B visas on
U.S. workers.

My direct observations are -- offshoring limits the number of jobs I
can choose from; L-1 + H-1B visa holders drive the compensation for
remaining jobs way down and create a "dumbing-down" phenomenon where my
ability to write a coherent procedure becomes much less important than
my ability to use the latest version of the desktop publishing software
(or even dumber, the version control software).

I just got an inquiry this am for work that requires relocation 400
miles away at my own expense for 60% of my current rate. This is from a
company that is grabbing a lot of headlines for its retraining programs
for employees whose jobs are being outsourced. Just before I hung up, I
suggested to the recruiter that they would get what they paid for, and
he agreed.

Sure is strange ... people running billion-dollar companies believing
in the existence of a free lunch.