[biztech-discussion] NWU Oppose-Offshoring: An Update

  • From: Al Weinrub <Allen.Weinrub@xxxxxxx>
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:54:41 -0800

Dear anti-offshoring folks,
I just returned from a meeting of the union's National Executive
Committee, and want to share with you the information that I provided
them regarding NWU efforts to oppose the offshoring of high tech and
professional jobs. (The recent elections will make these efforts all the
more difficult and all the more important.)

ACHIEVEMENTS

There has been a good deal of progress during the month since I last
posted on this list. The Oppose-Offshoring campaign coordinating
committee has orchestrated the following achievements with the help of
Kenya Briggs, NWU staffperson, and many others:

- We got the Oppose-Offshoring website up and running at
http://www.nwu-oppose-offshoring.org/  thanks to the work of Chris Berg,
who designed it, and Emily Berk, who made it live. This meant putting
all the campaign backgrounders and materials together thanks to Bruce
Hartford, Nancy Mulvaney, Margherite Williams, and Lisa Carlson. Please
check it all out!! The site includes a petition and the mechanisms for
signing on to it (though we have not yet formally launched the petition
campaign).

- We submitted our offshoring legislative positions to the NEC and
received approval.

- We sent an e-mail letter to California members urging them to contact
the governor in support of anti-offshoring legislation, and we
established ties with the CA Labor Fed and worked with WashTech on this
effort.

- We created a survey questionnaire, sent it to candidates in close
congressional, senatorial, and gubnitorial races, compiled the results,
and wrote NWU members and the press in the districts and states affected
about the responses. The results are on the web site at:
http://www.nwu-oppose-offshoring.org/offshoring-campaign/offshoring-updates.html

- We initiated and helped organize a meeting of Bay Area chapter members
to involve members in an ongoing Oppose-Offshoring effort. A number of
members took responsibility for local work.

- We transitioned the administration of this discussion list to Mike
Bradley. Thanks Mike.

PLANS MOVING FORWARD

In the next period we hope to accomplish the following:

- Formally launch a petition campaign as a way to identifiy supportive
NWU members and to use as a tool for outreach and advocacy.
We plan to e-mail an announcement of the campaign to all NWU members and
supporters and former-members. It will include a brief overview of the
campaign, urge recipients to go to the web site for more info, ask them
to get involved, and make a strong pitch to sign the petition.
We would attempt to involve members who sign the petition in getting
others to do so. This would mean promoting and publicizing the petition
via email and other methods throughout the technical and writing
communities with which we have contact.

- Involve many more members in developing parts of the web site
The Oppose-Offshoring web site is the first edition. We hope to expand
it to include offshoring news and links to other anti-offshoring
organizations and unions. We need volunteers to help in that regard,
especially in monitoring offshoring news, offshoring legislation, and
the work of other anti-offshoring organizations. Our hope is to find
members like yourselves who will contribute to the campaign in this way.

- Build a functioning campaign committee in the Bay Area
We hope to develop local leadership to take up the offshoring issue in
the Bay Area. The Bay area committee would organize legislative work and
draw members into local participation.
Based on this experience, we would attempt to build a functioning
committee in other chapters

JOIN US

Please help us get this campaign off the ground. We are now at the point
where we need more folks to do all kinds of things. Please contact NWU
Organizer Kenya Briggs at:

510-839-6092
kbriggs@xxxxxxxx

Thanks,