[biztech-discussion] Re: IEEE Offshoring Its Own Publications

  • From: "Mike Bradley" <mbradley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:32:19 -0700

Some time ago I said I would follow up on some research that Nancy
Mulvaney did concerning IEEE's offshoring of desktop publishing to a
firm in the Philippines, which contradicts the organization's critical
stand on offshoring of engineering work. I found some IEEE people to
correspond with and wrote the following:

"I am a technical writer and a member of the IEEE Professional
Communication Society. I'm pleased that IEEE has shown concern over
the offshoring of jobs. Writing and editing are being offshored
throughout the US technology and business world.

"Given IEEE's concern, I was very surprised to learn that IEEE
offshores the formatting of its publications to the Philippines
(http://www.spitech.com/PubSvc/CaseStudies.php). Needless to say, the
offshoring directly contradicts IEEE's position on offshoring and
undercuts its attempts to revitalize itself as an organization that
address its members real-life needs.

"A person could easily denounce the society as hypocritical. I will
not do that. I prefer to think that a mistake has been made and that
the society will move quickly to correct it. I hope to hear from you
soon that I am right."

I received a reply right away from the Immediate Past President of the
Professional Communication Society but nothing since. I think we
should push harder.

Please write the following people. Tell them you are following up an
April 12 email with the subject "IEEE Offshoring Its Own
Publications." Then tell them whatever you want to but remember to
keep a reasonably civil tone. Ask them for a reply. In your signature,
remember to list the union and any other writing organizations to
which you belong.

= Mike Bradley

president@xxxxxxxx
ombudsman@xxxxxxxx