[biztech-discussion] Re: Frequently Stated Misconceptions

  • From: <margh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:49:44 -0400

Bruce Hartford <bruceh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>FSM #1: Offshoring is being hyped by special interest groups. A poor
>economy, not offshoring, is causing the loss of jobs.

You mean the opposition to offshoring, not offshoring, right?

Oh yes! Sorry ... Al wrote that one, and I edited it without rereading
the it. I should know better!

> FSM#0 Offshoring is good for everyone because it lowers the prices we
> pay for goods and services. It increases our standard of living
> because the things we buy are cheaper, and it lowers taxes because
> government work can be done at lower cost.

I had been thinking of incorporating this into FSM #2 or #5. I hadn't
considered material goods at all, and that adds another dimension to
the jobs argument -- manufacturing/garment industry job losses. I was
focusing my research on techie jobs, because I assumed most BizTech
writers would relate to them specifically.

I did forget to mention in the intro that the audience for this piece
has been designated as NWU members and potential members.

>.. the government should not allow offshoring of government
> services or work done by private firms under government contract. To
> oppose offshoring of government we we have to confront the "cheaper
> is better" notion.

I don't know .. I've considered some arguments that we'd be better off
offshoring the U.S. Congress and some parts of the Executive Branch
<snerk>.

Margherite