[birdky] turkey vultures flocking

  • From: "Roberta Burnes" <rburnes@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:20:41 -0500

I live in Lexington (on Hamilton Park, off Versailles Rd. near Cardinal
Valley) and yesterday my neighbor came over to ask about some huge birds
that have been flocking in her trees for the past few days.  I went across
the street and instantly realized they were turkey vultures.  We are used to
seeing a few of these guys in the city, maybe 5 or 6 at a time, but I have
never seen so many all at once.  In the large trees in her backyard there
were easily 20, and as dusk fell I realized there must have been even more -
perhaps 30 flew right over my head and headed northwest to some unknown
destination.  As they left the trees and I saw a few stragglers, one of them
a lone black vulture following along with the others.

I assumed this flocking behavior to be something that a lot of birds do this
time of year, perhaps to improve chances of finding food (?).  Am I right?
Or do these guys actually migrate?  I'm sure I've seen turkey vultures
year-round here in KY.  I wouldn't be surprised if they come back again
tonight - if you want to see a spectacle, pop down to the end of my street
around dusk tonight!

Roberta Burnes

Education Coordinator

The Arboretum & State Botanical Garden of Kentucky

500 Alumni Drive

Lexington, KY 40503

859/257-9339

JPEG image