[birdky] Re: sugar/water ratio for hummers

  • From: Mark Monroe <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wrscates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:49:17 -0400

As has been noted, both mixtures can be, and are, successful.
However, to avoid some misconceptions in favor of 3:1, many of the
enormous staging areas (i.e LBL here in KY with its several hundred
hummers) use 4:1, and to my knowledge, all hummingbird banders and
major sites recommend that mix.  There really are NO 'major' migration
sites that claim to have more birds using 3:1 when they have tested it
that I am are aware of.  If there are any out there have statistically
found an advantage , we'd be interested in their results.

As for flowers, they offer far more than a sugar/water mixture does in
the way of potential nutrition, so that is not a valid apples to
oranges comparison when it comes to feeder mixtures.  Regardless,
birds clearly cannot take the same volume out of flowers that they do
a feeder in any set time period.

Now, I'm certainly not trying to dissuade opinions and input and
certainly welcome it, just passing on the current data that has been
collected. :)

Mark

Mark Monroe
Louisville, KY