[birdky] mourning doves

  • From: "Mabry, Jennifer R" <jmabr00@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:39:29 -0400

Hi all,

We have a twig basket on our back porch which a couple of doves made
into their home and raised two fine and lovely chicks. The strange thing
was that I could hand water the flowers that were in the basket and mama
would never get up off of the nest.

One evening as we were eating dinner the commotion started and one of
the doves was perched on the flowers, wildly flapping her wings. Before
the evening was over it had managed to fly out to the telephone wire.
Soon the other followed. Well I assumed that the basket had returned to
just a basket of flowers.

In about two days one of the doves was back sitting in the basket. I
assumed it was one of the babies and it felt secure in the basket. Or
the alternative was that it had grown to like watching the chimp exhibit
at the zoo (us on our backporch). But now, the dove has been there
continuously for about 1 week and it looks like it is sitting on a nest.

My question is...do doves have chicks back to back like that or is this
possibly another dove that had been scoping out the basket?

I would appreciate any knowledge, speculations, etc.

Thanks so much,

Jennifer
Lexington, KY