[birdky] lexington reservoir red-necked grebe?

  • From: "Joe Pulliam" <jpulliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:43:14 -0500

Hello,

Doreen and I birded the Lexington Reservoir (Lakeshore Drive) on Saturday and
saw lots of canada geese, coots, ruddy ducks, mallards, shovelers, hooded
mergansers, pied-billed grebes, gulls, a few buffleheads and great blue herons.
We also saw what we think was a red-necked grebe, which would be a life bird
for each of us. The bird had a large bill that was black on top and yellow
beneath, and as best we could tell had a dark, not red eye. I've attached a
poor quality photo - best I could do with a handheld digital camera through the
binoculars. I think the bird on the right is a ruddy duck for size comparison.
I went back on Sunday and didn't see the red-necked grebe, but did see a couple
of horned grebes, a common loon and a kingfisher. If someone else has seen the
red-necked grebe, could you confirm this with a post?

Thanks, and good birding,
Joe

Sent via the WebMail system at speedbeam.com