[birdky] RPT: Peabody WMA, Ohio Co., 12/10/2005

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY (E-mail)" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:04:36 -0500

Something on the order of 15 participants competed with way more sportsmen
(there were muzzleloaders after deer, rednecks who didn't know what they had
shot asking us what they had killed pursuing ducks, and small game hunters
chasing quail -- we sure didn't see any -- and rabbits) on a cold and breezy
day to record 69 species of birds. I was a bit surprised at the lack of
numbers of most birds, given the sunny break in the weather and seemingly
good food crops. We remained on the Ohio County side save for a quick trip
to see virtually nothing at dusk on the Sinclair Unit by a few lingerers.
Highlights were 6 Greater White-fronted Geese, 2 female Common Goldeneye,
and 14 Canvasbacks among commoner species of waterfowl; 1 light morph
Rough-legged Hawk (the only one we could find was off the WMA); good looks
at Northern Harriers and 2 Short-eared Owls (the latter seen by most in the
group). Passerines of interest included a couple of flyover Lapland
Longspurs, Red-breasted Nuthatches, 2 Pine Siskins and a male Purple Finch
at area feeders, and Fox Sparrows. A nice mixed group of birds put on a good
show along KY 369 north of Rochester that included Brown Creeper, Red-headed
Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, White-breasted Nuthatch and a flock of
Eastern Bluebirds.

bpb, Louisville