[birdky] Woodpeckers at hummingbird feeders

  • From: Barry Johnson <barryjohnson1978@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 08:49:54 -0400

We have two sunflower seed feeders and one hummingbird feeder.  The
hummingbird feeder is filled with water/sugar mixture not store-bought
liquid.  We have woodpeckers that will visit and eat seeds but also
drink from our hummingbird feeder.  You can see them get the liquid on
their becks and then lean their head back and let the liquid run in
their mouths.  We were wanting to know if anyone else has seen this or
if this is a usual behavior.  We never saw this the past two years we
have had the hummingbird feeder up.

Barry Johnson
Independence, KY