[birdky] White-crowned Sparrows, Boone Co.

  • From: Ned Keller <keller@xxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:10:26 -0500

Doing the Boone County sector of the Ohio River CBC today, I found a
huge number of White-crowned Sparrows, 310 estimated, along Kentucky 8
west of Kentucky 237. At one point I counted 48 in my binoculars at one
time. There was a good mix of other sparrows as well, but White-crowneds
made up about three quarters of all the sparrows. This is the area
marked "North Bend Bottom" on DeLorme page 22, grid D3. By the way, if
anyone visits this area, the DeLorme atlas has an error - Route 8 does
not connect from I-275 to North Bend Bottom - you have to go by way of 237.

--
Ned Keller
Cincinnati, OH