[birdky] Warren County 24-28 January 2005

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:43:56 -0800 (PST)

Twenty species of waterfowl have been observed in
southern Warren County the past five days.  Many of
these birds are using Griffin Park as a refuge and
feeding in the surrounding areas including the
transient pools which have begun to recede.

Ten Mute Swans were still present as of today at a
transient pond along Homer Murray Road (Chapman's),
and six still present at Petros Pond.  Other waterfowl
present include:

Greater White-fronted Goose

Three seen numerous times in area plus one found shot
and left beside the road at Petros Pond on January 25.
 I had just seen the other three so this was a
different bird.

Snow Goose  immature

Canada Goose several hundred in area

Cackling Goose  at least six

Gr. Winged Teal

Am Black Duck

Mallard

N Pintail

Blue-winged Teal  female at McElroy  Jan 28

N Shoveler  McElroy and Petros

Gadwall

Am Wigeon

Canvasback 20 McElroy Jan 28  2 Griffin Park

Redhead  scattered w/ 70+ at McElroy Jan 28

Ring-necked Duck

Lesser Scaup

C Goldeneye McElroy

Hooded Merganser  Chaney

Ruddy Duck  Griffin Park

A nice flight of northbound Sandhill Cranes occurred
this afternoon, Jan 28, with nine flocks totalling
appr. 1200 birds being observed between 2-4 pm in the
Woodburn area.  About half of these birds landed in
three different fields to feed.  Watching a flock of
cranes parachute from the heavens on set wings with
their necks and heads extended vertically, their legs
dangling below, and their bodies held parallel to the
ground as if walking on air is to me, one of the most
exhilarating experiences in nature.

Other highlights from the past few days include:

Wilson's Snipe scattered with appr 25 at McElroy today

Great Horned Owl

Hootin' in my yard in the early mornings for the past
2-3 weeks.  One morning, I arose before daybreak to
see him perched in a tree in the back yard illuminated
by the full moon.  With binoculars gathering the
light, I was able to obtain a marvelous look at him
with the stars sparkling in the background.

Eurasian Collared-Dove  Richpond Jan 28

American Pipit scattered with flocks up to 50 birds

Yellow-rumped Warbler  Chapman's  Jan 28

Palm Warbler  Griffin Park Jan 24/25

Chipping Sparrows in yard daily

Lapland Longspur  appr. 60 at McElroy Jan 28

Rusty Blackbird  80+ McElroy Jan 28 with a mixed flock
of blackbirds including a leucistic grackle with white
flight feathers and tail that refused to pose for
photos.

David L. Roemer
Bowling Green, Ky.