[birdky] Warren County 15/16 January 2005

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:19:04 -0800 (PST)

Birding highlights from the weekend:

15 January w/ Nephew Carter Hooks

Mute Swan 6  Petros Pond

Gr. White-fronted Goose 3  Walton's Pond

Cackling Goose 5  Griffin Park

Redhead 20  Petros Pond

Eurasian Collared-Dove  Richpond

16 January

Mute Swan 6 at Petros Pond and 10 on a transient pond
along Homer Murray Rd. near Woodburn.

Gr. White-fronted Goose 3 Petros

Cackling Goose 1 Griffin Park

Lesser Scaup  Petros

Sandhill Crane  appr. 70 landed in a field of corn
stubble along 31-w south near Chaney Lake.

Pine Siskin  Shaker Mill

Fox Sparrow  Shaker Mill

Also, this morning, January 16, I looked out the
window to see a Loggerhead Shrike perched on my deck
rail!  Joanie said she saw it on the front porch rail
yesterday.  It apparently has been attracted by the
small birds feeding in the yard.

Yesterday while Carter and I were standing next to a
barn watching the waterfowl at Walton's Pond, I heard
the alarm note of a starling.  That call usually means
an accipiter is near and this was no exception.  I
looked up from the scope to see a Cooper's Hawk in hot
pursuit of a starling coming across a field, and which
made for the nearest cover available, the open door of
the barn next to which we were standing.  The hawk,
which was only about a foot behind it, never missed a
wingbeat and disappeared into the barn right behind
the starling.  Eleven year-old Carter yelled, THAT WAS
COOL!!! And he was right!  We never saw the birds
again, so I don't know if the hawk caught it or they
flew out the other side of the barn.  That's the kind
of exciting birding an eleven year old will remember.

David L. Roemer
Bowling Green, Ky.