[birdky] Todd County, shore bird capital of KY

  • From: "Mark & Tommie Gail Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:42:59 -0500

13 July 2005:

David Roemer came to see me today to cheer me up and , of course, we went
birding.  Actually, we went for a drive to Mosley's Pond in Logan County and
to Guthrie Swamp in Todd County.  This drive and check turned into birding
at one location, Guthrie Swamp.

At Guthrie Swamp the following species were observed at the northwest
corner:

Canada Goose:  app 10
Mallard:  app 30
Solitary Sandpiper:  4
Spotted Sandpiper:  1
Least Sandpiper:  3
Short-billed Dowitcher:  7  (Species ID by DR)
Great Blue Heron:  3
Great Egret:  2
Red-tailed Hawk:  1 juvenile screaming a beg call

At the Southwest corner of Guthrie Swamp, Todd County were

Canada Goose:  10
Great Blue Heron:  2
Great Egret: 3

At Hadensville, in Todd County, on KY 848 between the Swamp and US 79, 5
Least Sandpipers were observed in drying pond on the NE side of the road.

At Mosley's Pond in Logan County, a single Wood Duck and a single Great Blue
Heron were observed.

That concludes this report.

Mark Bennett
David Roemer