[birdky] Spindletop Geese

  • From: JohnRyan Polascik <birdnerdjr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:52:48 -0500

Yesterday I had one of the most interesting days at Spindletop Research
farm (just north of Lexington). Upon arriving at the main pond, I noticed
several white birds sitting in the pond which got me pretty pumped. I set
up my camera and got some looks at them and at first glance, it appeared
they were a dozen or so Snow Geese of both morphs. Since these birds were
sitting across the pond, I couldn't really examine them, but after a few
photos and zooming in on some of the white individuals, it appeared that
there were two Ross's Geese amongst the flock! There were also the typical
waterfowl and two Mute Swans hanging around the pond as well.
Photos of the Ross's Geese can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnryanpolascik/8469976286/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnryanpolascik/8468881157/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnryanpolascik/8468884143/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnryanpolascik/8471056278/in/photostream/

The Ross's Geese took off in their pair and headed southeast so anyone
interested in chasing these birds should check reservoirs in the area or
they may have returned to Spindletop. The Snow Geese are still present as
far as I can tell.

As if that wasn't enough for a day, I relocated one of the Cackling Geese
at a reasonably close range for some nice comparative photos. After
reviewing the photos, I noticed an individual with intermediate
characteristics. It had the bill shape and coloring of a Canada, but the
size of a Cackling and bill ratio of a cackling. I'm no expert on
"white-faced" geese, but this individual seemed odd. If anyone has some
expertise or experience identifying these individuals, I'd surely
appreciate it. I've been calling this individual a "lesser" Canada Goose
(Branta canadensis parvipes), but I could be way off. The photo below shows
the "lesser," the Cackling and the Canada all in one photo. The photo is no
illusion, these two birds to the left were side by side and sizes were very
similar. The Cackling here seems darker than the Cackling seen and
photographed previously which makes me think it could be Branta
hutchinsonii taverneri or B. h. minima. Again, not much experience here.
But input and corrections would be appreciated so I can label these
individuals properly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnryanpolascik/8468889373/in/photostream/

Overall, it was probably the most productive days watching geese that i've
ever had. So many opportunities to compare individuals based on size and
plumage.

Cheers,

JohnRyan Polascik

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm