[birdky] Reflections in an Ol' Coot's Eye ... clean version

  • From: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 08:41:18 -0500 (EST)

If this post had just been about bird sightings, it wouldn't have bothered me
that the formatting got messed up. Sorry for the repeat, but it's just bugging
me too much, so hopefully below is the message without the cyber-glitches ....

There have been a couple of posts to BIRDKY over the past 24 hours about the
passing of one of Tennessee's most respected and knowledgeable long-time
birders, Jeff Wilson. Anyone wishing to know more about this fellow who coined
his own nickname, "the Ol' Coot," should read through the many messages that
have been posted today to TNBIRD, Tennessee's "BIRDKY." Go to this link:
http://birding.aba.org/ and scroll down and click on Tennessee.

Anyone who did not know Jeff, no ... actually not only those who didn't know
Jeff, but all who did and all who are just interested in birds, should take the
time to go to or revisit (and bookmark) his web site, "Reflections in an Ol'
Coot's Eye," where he has not only chronicled many of his birding experiences,
but also shared his perhaps unrivaled knowledge of the birds of our "mid-south"
region. The link to his web site is http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot

The internet has done many wonderful things for us birders, but one of its
greatest contributions has been to allow someone as knowledgeable and as
willing to share as Jeff to reach out and share his experiences with so many
people. There are dozens of photo galleries that Jeff populated with great
photos and colorful narrative. I dout that anything could provide someone with
as true a glimpse of Jeff's essence than to scroll through the pages of his web
site and marvel at the level of his observational skills and the passion he had
for birds. I also feel confident that there is not anyone interested in birds
who will not find much to be learned about bird behavior and ID there. And,
finally, I'm sure that nothing would please Jeff more than for everyone to
enjoy and learn from the fruits of his passion for birds. I certainly hope that
his web site is preserved in some fashion for a long, long time.

Jeff's passing is a vivid reminder that we need to make the most of every day
... I imagine that Jeff had no regrets in that department ... his passion for
life is surely a wonderful example to follow.

BPB, Lousville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm