[birdky] Sloughs Monday & Yellow-headed Blackbird

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:40:16 -0600

11/3/08
7:30 to 11:00AM CST
43º Clear rising to 73º

Not much going on except for the Yellow-headed Blackbird; but that made my day!
Sauerheber Unit of the Sloughs is now closed.  :-(

Wood Tract, Anderson Pond, Crenshaw Tract, Jenny Hole/Highland Creek Unit.

Pied-billed Grebe at Hardy Sloughs impoundment visible from the road.

At 7:30 mostly Mallards (Thousand?) at north side of Wood Tract & 8 Shovelers.
Wood Tract west end: Canada Geese and Greater White-fronted Geese.

Anderson Pond has been taken over by Mallards (thousands)

Crenshaw Tract:
3 Wood Ducks.

Jenny Hole/Highland Creek Unit (Henderson Co):
Yellow-headed Blackbird, 1, with small flock of Red-winged Blackbirds, flushed out of tall grass. It flew over me and circled back over me again then back down into the grass.
First one I have seen outside of Texas.

One more stop at Wood Tract at 11:30. All the ducks were gone. Replaced by several hundred White-fronted Geese and 1 Snow Goose (blue phase)

Charlie
Henderson Co.