[birdky] Re: Sandhills

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:35:08 -0500

It seems that the east side of Louisville was the place to be this afternoon
for cranes!

My mom and I drove up to the Ewing bottoms in western Jackson Co, IN, mid-day
to try to see the thousands of cranes that have been up there, lately.
Unfortunately, the one mass of birds (about 500 or so) were pretty far out in
the biggest field NW of 150W/100N, but we got to see several groups parachute
in to the main resting flock and there was a single Whooping Crane with them.
Upon our arrival a large raptor was soaring overhead ... a juv. Golden Eagle!

When we returned to Louisville I began some work on our family farm and from
about 4:00 to 5:30 I had 350-375 cranes go over in about a dozen flocks. They
were making good time despite a lack of wind.

bpb, Louisville