[birdky] Report: Jonathan Creek

  • From: "bennetts" <bennetts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:59:35 -0500

September 2, 2002:

I actually birded (briefly) today with a visit to Jonathan Creek in Marshall
County.  Lake levels have fallen enough to produce some mud flat at the KY 80
bridge.  Pirate's Cove was not checked.  Present on the mudflat were:

27 Least Sandpipers
app. 10 Lesser Yellowlegs
6 Solitary Sandpipers
2 Spotted Sandpipers
6 Semipalmated Sandpipers
2 Semipalmated Plovers
NOTE:  I tend to count conservatively, so there might have been more.
several Killdeer.
8 - 10 Blue-winged Teal
1 Wood Duck
9 Forster's Terns
1 Common/Forster's Tern?
Few Great Egrets
Few Great Blue Herons
1 Belted Kingfisher

I made a few stops in LBL hoping to find migrant warblers.  My heart was not
really in the endeavor and the heat had already begun to build.  I found none,
but I did not look hard.

At Devil's Elbow (LBL) about 25 Great Egrets were present just after sunrise.
They had dispersed by 8:30 AM.

I briefly looked for the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher family below Barkley Dam.  I
spent only about 10 minutes there.  I did not find them today.  Maybe someone
with more patience or desire will find them again.

That concludes this report.

Mark Bennett
Russellville, KY
Logan County