[birdky] Danville Area Birds

  • From: "Edmund Richards" <edkiernan3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 20:49:54 -0400

Not a great day of birding, but I did manage to add another life bird. About
7:45 this evening I heard a racket coming from outside the house. I went out
to check out what it was and there was a tree full of blackbirds, grackles,
and starlings. Flocks of birds were coming over for 20 mins non stop. The
mixed flocks were heading east. At the same time small flocks of Swifts were
heading west. A medium sized flock (15) of Nighthawks were seen heading
southwest
Not having a my binocs I had to drive into Danville to get them out of my
girlfriends car, by the time I returned the flocks had passed with the
exception of a few straglers.
Here is what was seen at a few spots.

Central Kentucky Wildlife Refuge:
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Spotted Sandpiper
Turkey Vulture

Brown Power Plant (Ash Pond):
Killdeer
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Black Duck
Mallard
Canada Goose
Double Crested Cormorants
3 Great Egrets
2 Great Blue Heron
50+ Vultures Kettling (Turkey and Black)
Forster's Tern (life bird)
Caspian Tern
Kestrel
Cooper's Hawk (put every Killdeer up on the far end of the pond)

Doe laying down below Ash Pond, got a great view through the scope.