[birdky] Red River Gorge Report

  • From: frankrenfrow@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:41:01 -0400

On a trip to the Red River Gorge (DBNF) this weekend Veronica and myself
observed a good compliment of bird activity, with the usual spring arrivals in
progress. On the?very nice, sunny?afternoon of Saturday April 18 we found 2
Red-breasted Nuthatches along the Rock Bridge loop (Wolfe Co.), one involved in
some tapping?out of a possible start on a nest hole. Also seen and heard were 2
Blue-headed Vireos, 7 Pine Warblers, 8 Black-throated Green Warblers, 2
Yellow-throated Warblers, 2 Louisiana Waterthrushes, and 4 Pine Siskins.?One
Sunday April 19?we added 1 Wild Turkey, and 2 Ovenbirds along the Rock Bridge
road. Also on Sunday there was 1 Blue-headed Vireo,?3 Black-throated Green
Warblers, 1 Northern Parula and 10 Pine Siskins at Hemlock Lodge at Natural
Bridge SP (Powell Co.).

We were at Louisville later Sunday evening and counted over 200 Double-crested
Cormorants at the Falls of the Ohio.

Frank and Veronica Renfrow
Fort Thomas, KY