[birdky] RPT:birding the suburbs Okolona and Minors lane 12/29

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:58:09 -0500

Yesterday I had to have some work done on my car in Okolona, so having no way
to get anywhere or do anything I went birding.  I walked from Applegate and
Shepherdsville up to Outer Loop then behind the Jefferson Mall up to Fern
Valley Rd.  Results while not amazing were better than expected.  After I got
my car back i went to a UPS owned "wetland" area off Minors Lane South and
added a few more birds.

Okolona 9:30am-2:30pm

Canada Goose-20+
Mallard-14
Turkey Vulture-1
Cooper's Hawk-1
Red-shouldered Hawk-1
Red-tailed Hawk-2
American kestrel-1
Killdeer-45+- in a field right off of Fern Valley before intersection with road
to the mall
Ring-billed Gull- flew over me early in the morning hard to find in that area
Mourning Dove-25+
Belted Kingfisher-2
Red-bellied Wood.-2
Downy Wood.-7
Northern Flicker-3
Pileated Wood.-1
Blue jay-10
American Crow-4
Horned Lark-heard over fern Valley
Carolina Chickadee-8
Tufted Titmouse-4
White-breasted Nuthatch-1
Carolina Wren-4
American Robin-35+
Northern Mockingbird-12
Euro. Starling-who cares
yellow-rumped Warbler-1
Eastern Towhee-3- in brush behind Target
Field Sparrow-8
Song Sparrow-22
White-throated Sparrow-15
Dark-eyed junco-1
No. Cardinal-35
Eastern meadowlark-1
House Finch-10
Pine Siskin-1 unbelievable flew over me twice just make sure I didn't call it
wrong
American Goldfinch-10
House Sparrow-heard oddly enough

Minors Lane-3:30-5:30pm

Canada Goose-15
mallard-12
Great Blue Heron-1
Red-shouldered Hawk-1
American Kestrel-1
Killdeer-2
Mourning Dove
Downy Wood.
No. Flicker
Blue Jay
Am. Crow
Carolina Chick.
Carolina Wren
eastern Bluebird-5
American Robin-10
No. Mockingbird-2
Chipping Sparrow-1 in weedy field with many song Sp. and house Sp.
Song Sp.
Swamp Sp.-3
Red-wg. Blackbird-1 flyover
House Finch-4
Am. Goldfinch-10
House Sp.-25-hanging with native species in weedy field odd-should have checked
for Eurasian Tree

a stop on National Turnpike around Sysco added a another great Blue heron and a
small roosting flock of 10 Red-wg. blackbirds at dusk on Enterprise lane in a
cattail ditch
not bad for improv
final note:There is a low, wet weedy field on the road that connects outer loop
and fern Valley.  I walked the whole thing and came up with one meadowlark, but
I swear with the quality of habitat on any other day I would have flushed
Wilson's Snipe, Savannah Sparrow and Virginia Rail; this is small but quality
habitat.

Good Birding,
Michael Autin
 Louisville, KY

Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032870/direct/01/