[birdky] RPT: Olmstead CBC Results Summary

  • From: "Mark & Tommie Gail Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:46:28 -0600

30 December 2008:

The Olmstead CBC was held yesterday, 29 December.  The count circle is
centered in Southwestern Logan County and laps into southeastern Todd County
to some degree.

The weather was really nice for human observers (non-observers as well, I
suspect) and the sunshine afforded nice views of the birds observed.  A good
variety (69 species) was observed.  This represents the 3rd highest total in
the 16 years of this count.  Individual numbers were unimpressive at around
3,400.  I suspect that the nice weather combined with afternoon breezes of
about 10 MPH (gusting to near 20 MPH) played a role in reducing individual
observations.

Highlights were as follows:

*       6 Pine Siskins (new count species),
*       13 Great Horned Owls (count record shattering number),
*       Count record numbers of Eastern Bluebirds (128), Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker (8), & Ruby-crowned Kinglets (5),
*       Good numbers of Carolina Wrens, Cedar Waxwings, and Yellow-rumped
Warblers,
*       2 Eastern Phoebes,
*       3 Loggerhead Shrikes,
*       3 Palm Warblers, and
*       2 Rusty Blackbirds.

It might also be noteworthy that no flocks/clouds of blackbirds and/or
starlings were observed.  This fact did affect the individuals total.

Even though water was abundant, few locations had water birds.  I personally
deduce that this may be due to the very dry late summer and early fall
combined with the very recent accumulation of that water.

On a personal note, it was (and is) quite painful to have 5 of the 6 Pine
Siskins observed in MY backyard by ANOTHER birder when that species is NOT
on MY personal "YARD List".  This illustrates the reason that I call this
birder a "near Deity" (now, among some other choice names).  Other nice
birds seen from/near my yard that were NOT painful to me were the
neighborhood's Cooper's Hawk and Loggerhead Shrike.

That concludes this report.  I hope that each of you had a good Christmas
and bid you all a successful and happy new year.

Mark Bennett
113 Iroquois Circle
Russellville, KY  42276

Logan County, Kentucky