[birdky] RPT: six heron day at the Falls and a few grassland birds in Shelby County 06/ 09-10

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 21:07:27 -0400

Today at the Falls of the Ohio near the dam I had six species of heron with 3-4
within view at the same time.  Mixed in with the Black-crowned Night-Herons
sitting on the logs above the dam was a worn smudgy adult Yellow-crowned
Night-heron, that i guess was a 2nd year bird.  There was also briefly a Snowy
Egret perched on the retainer wall next to the dam.  Both of these species were
not seen again despite careful searching after 4 pm, and I never encountered
eagles or Osprey, but two first summer Herring Gulls were interesting in their
glaucous plumage.
  Yesterday i drove down 148 hear Fisherville and Clark Station Road going to
Finchville looking for grassland species.  I found a few promising spots, but
only undeveloped grassland on the back of a new subdivision worksite off Clark
Station produced birds where I encountered 3-4 Grasshopper Sparrows, 2-3
Dickcissels and a single Horned Lark.  Other highlights were Wild Turkey,
Yellow-throated Vireo, a roadside Summer Tanager, a few Blue Grosbeaks, a
family of Wood Ducks and Northern Bobwhite singing of questionable origin.

Good Birding,
Michael Autin Louisville, KY

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm