[birdky] RPT -- misc updates

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:09:41 -0400

I was out in the field some this week and had the chance to check on a few
birds.

Painted Bunting: the male remains on territory on KY 94 just west of jct KY
1282, although it has settled back a little closer to 1282. I think it is
sandwiched in between territories of at least four male Indigos.  I watched
it displaying to at least two different female indigos, but both were also
associating with male indigos, so I would say the PABU remains in the
running for some extra-pair copulatory action, but doesn't have a female of
his own (which is probably just as well . . . we'd hate to start having
hybrids in the area).

White-winged Dove: I spent only a little time on the west side of Hickman,
but saw nothing of the dove.

Scissor-tailed Flycatchers along KY 453: did not see the birds in one pass
by, and the nest does not appear to have been completed.  They may be nearby
as I stayed for only a few minutes. I forgot to mention in an earlier post
that last year's Bell's Vireo is again on territory between the nest site
and the buffalo viewing area.

Bachman's Sparrows: I spent much of one early morning slowly working the
suitable-looking habitat in the vicinity of last year's June report in
eastern Calloway County.  There is a large logged area within several
hundred yards of the 2002 report, but it seems to be BASP-less as of now.
This patch of habitat (nw of corner of KY 444 and Beat Farmer Road) would be
worth more scrutiny as the season progresses.  Many of the pines that were
planted in the 1970s and 1980s in this part of Callwoway County are now
maturing and being harvested, and it could be that the amount of habitat for
the sparrows will be on the increase in the coming decade.  This habitat
also looks great for Bewick's Wrens, but none were heard.

Shorebirds: water is everywhere along the lower Ohio and Mississippi, and
may have shorebirds dispersed as I saw little more than a sprinkling of
Spottys and a few small flocks of Semi S'pipers and the occasional
yellowlegs.

Other birds:  1 Common Loon, 14 Caspian Terns, 30+ Ring-billed Gulls, and 2
Herring Gulls were all that were in the vicinity of Ky Dam.  Migrants were
scarce, at least as far as just hearing them singing while doing other
things.  One exception were TWO Mourning Warblers singing at the same spot
in Calloway Co.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx