[birdky] Re: RPT: Williamsburg Purple Martin roost

  • From: "Bender, Joyce (EEC)" <Joyce.Bender@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:44:17 +0000

It is good of you to call Burger King, Brainard.  Their slogan is or was “Have
it your way”, so tell them you want a hamburger with an intact purple martin
roost.  Sorry to hear about the destruction of their temporary roost trees, but
the inadvertent removal of invasive callery pears is a plus for the environment
(timing, however is everything).  Perhaps birders in the areas with these
roosts can shop local businesses and let them know that they came to watch the
birds.  Getting more burgers sold might have made the company a little more
tolerant of the “nuisance”.

Joyce Bender
Nature Preserves and Natural Areas Branch Manager
Kentucky State Nature Preserves Commission
801 Schenkel Lane
Frankfort, KY 40601
502 573-2886
502 573-2355 (fax)