[birdky] RPT: Song Sparrow nest inside our barn

  • From: <brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 08:53:11 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I think I may have posted about this before, but I placed on my Flickr stream a
few photos of a Song Sparrow nest that is "inside" one of the open air barns on
our farm in northeastern Jefferson County. The birds build several nests in the
stacks of hay bales in the barn every year. I'm not sure if it is just one pair
or more, but it has been going on so long (ever since I can remember) that the
behavior is surely being passed along from generation to generation. The first
photo is at this link and a few more can be seen by hitting the left arrow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70381922@N08/14385054069/in/photostream/

In recent weeks a lot has changed on the farm. Northern Rough-winged and Tree
Swallows have mostly disappeared as I guess they have successfully nested and
are now moving off to post-breeding aggregation sites. This means only a cloud
of Barn Swallows and several Chimney Swifts accompany us from field to field as
we mow. A Grasshopper Sparrow showed up last week and is now singing
occasionally in one of the Indian grass fields. "My" pair of kestrels had a
successful nesting year and the young are now chasing anything that moves that
is smaller than them. You can always tell when the young have fledged as the
female begins to 'killy' incessantly at anything at all she perceives to be a
threat. The Red-tailed Hawks that nested several hundred yards from her nest
are not her favorites right now. Barn Swallow nests are packed with babies of
all sizes now. I did have a pair of Eastern Bluebirds successfully fledge young
a few weeks ago; I missed fledging day but saw at least 3 juveniles about a
quarter mile away this past week. The Northern Bobwhite that showed up last
week continues to sing for awhile every morning and evening ... good luck
finding a mate here ... :o(

bpb, Louisville
================NOTES TO SUBSCRIBERS=============
When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm